Tartan Clans of Scotland
Scotland has an illustrious history that dates back to about 14,000 years ago, when the earliest settlers came to the country after the ice age. Around the 8th century BC, the inhabitants of Scotland were greatly influenced by Celtic culture. One of the significant cultural practices that the Celts brought to the country was the use of tartan clothing.
During the 1st century AD, Scotland was invaded by the Romans, who made mention about the bright, striped clothes of the Scottish people. It was not until the 16th century that the first true documentation of the tartan was made, and this referred to King James V’s gift of Heland Tartans to his wife. Later on, the tartan was used to create different clan uniforms during the 1746 Battle of Culloden. Charles Edward Stuart led his inferior Highlander forces against the powerful government forces of the Duke of Cumberland, and his army was divided into a number of clan regiments, each with its own tartan uniform. After the Duke of Cumberland’s forces were defeated, the government imposed a ban on tartan. The ban was finally lifted in 1782, and the tartan has become a significant part of the Scottish national culture ever since.
- History of Scotland: A brief history of Scotland from the 1st century AD to the 20th century.
- Early Scotland: An interesting account of the early history of Scotland based on location.
- Scottish Clan History: A brief account of the history of Scottish clans.
- Scottish Clan Information: Comprehensive information about different Scottish clans, with descriptions and images of coats of arms.
- List of Scotland Clans: A list of names of Scottish clans, with images of some of their castles.
- Scotland Clan Map: A map that shows the locations of various clans in Scotland.
- Clan Donald: Complete information about Clan Donald, the most powerful Scottish clan for many years.
- Clan Campbell History: An account of the history of Clan Campbell, a well-known clan in Scotland.
- Clan MacKay Society: Official website of the once-powerful MacKay Clan in Scotland.
- Clan Gordon: The website of Clan Gordon, formerly one of the most powerful clans in Scotland.
- Scottish Clan Resources: A resource page with numerous links to information about Scottish clans.
- Scottish Clans and Tartans FAQ: Frequently asked questions about the clans of Scotland and tartans.
- Scotland Clans and Their Tartans: Information about each of the major Scottish clans, with images of their tartans.
- Tartan Basics: Basic information about tartans.
- Scottish Tartans Museum: Museum website with information and articles about Scottish tartans.
- Famous People from Scotland: Information on famous Scots by region.
- Scottish Glossary: A glossary of Scottish terms.
- Glossary of Scottish Words: Selected Scottish words and their meanings.
- National Archives of Scotland: The official website of the National Archives of Scotland.
- Historic Scotland: A website that is dedicated to celebrating the history of Scotland.
- Documents of Scotland’s History: A list of links to websites that contain documents of the history of Scotland.
- Scottish Monarchs: Extensive information on the kings and queens in Scottish history.
- Roman Scotland: Website that contains lots of information about Scotland under Roman rule.
- Early Scotland: Information about King Alba and the early history of Scotland.
- Medieval Scotland: Information and articles on medieval Scotland.
- Scotland’s Culture: An article about the literary culture of Scotland, with links to information about famous Scottish literary figures.