Understanding English Grammar
English is infamous as one the most difficult languages to master, as many people struggle when learning. Foreigners or natives who wish to become proficient in English need to develop a good understanding of the basic principles of grammar, so that they can communicate more effectively. Grammar sets the standard for the way the language is communicated, and it involves recognition of the role of words, as well as proper structuring of sentences. It combines words, expressions, and sentences in an orderly manner to make communication more comprehensible.
The single most complaint students of English face is the number of contradictory rules and exceptions in the English language. The language features more homographs, homonyms and irregular spellings than most dialects. It is often a word's multiple meanings or a word's same sound but different spelling that frustrate the learning process.
Students of the English language have to learn many different grammar rules to be able to express themselves meaningfully, and this requires proper guidance as well as constant practice. Here are some websites that provide useful information and tips on English grammar.
Compare English courses at language schools in Usa (Austin, Beverly Hills, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Honolulu, Jersey City, Las Vegas, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Princeton, San Diego, San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, Santa Monica and Washington DC), Australia (Brisbane, Byron Bay, Cairns, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Noosa, Perth, Sunshine Coast and Sydney), Canada (Burlington, Calgary, Kelowna, Lunenburg, Montreal, Quebec, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria and Whistler), Ireland (Cork, Dublin, Galway and Limerick), Scotland (Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow) and New Zealand (Auckland, Christchurch, Hamilton and Queenstown).Thousands of Student Reviews of the leading language schools.
Basic English Grammar for Foreigners
- Basic Elements of Grammar: Tutorials on English grammar and interactive activities.
- Grammar Handbook: A complete guide to English grammar.
- English Grammar Lessons: Lessons on various aspects of English grammar, as well as exercises.
- Free Grammar Lessons: A great selection of grammar lessons as well as tests, including tips on word usage and punctuation.
- Grammar Guide: Tips on English grammar, including noun, verb, adjective, and adverb, as well as punctuation and spelling.
- Grammar and Writing Guide: Provides information on the basics of English grammar and writing.
- Basic Grammar: A comprehensive guide on the usage of English grammar.
- Improve English Grammar: A selection of English grammar tutorials for both foreigners and native speakers.
- Grammar Tutorials: Lessons and exercises for different aspects of grammar.
- Self-Study Grammar Quizzes: An extensive collection of grammar quizzes for self-study.
- Grammar Activities for ESL Students: A variety of grammar activities and information for those who are learning English as a second language.
- Grammar Information and Resources: A web page that contains grammar tips as well as links to grammar lessons.
English Grammar for Native Speakers
- College Grammar: Tips on grammar mechanics for college students.
- Grammar Guide for English Students: Explanations of many aspects of English grammar.
- Internet Grammar: Lessons to help college students develop better grammar skills.
- Handbook for Grammar Studies: A comprehensive handbook that provides explanations of sentence fragments, run-on sentences, and others.
- Guide to Grammar and Style: A list of terms that provide valuable information about English grammar.
- Grammar for Writing: Lots of grammar tips to help students improve writing skills.
- English Grammar FAQ: A list of discussions about certain elements of English grammar.
- Grammar Links: Resource page with links to advanced grammar lessons and information.