All nationals require a valid passport.
Valid passport required by all. Validity varies - for most countries a passport must be valid for the entire duration of the stay. Note: 1) For nationals included in the Visa Waiver Program, passports must be valid for at least 90 days from date of entry.
Introduced on October 26 2004, all travellers entering the US under the Visa Waiver Program now require individual machine-readable passports. Children included on a parents passport also now require their own machine-readable passport. Travellers not in possession of machine-readable passports will require a valid US entry visa.
- You are a national of countries under the Visa Waiver Program (WVP), such as
and most other EU countries. Complete list below.
- You remain for a maximum 90 days in the US.
- You are travelling as a tourist. Very important for language students: You may only book a course of max. 17 hours/week, as otherwise you are not classified as a tourist, but as a student and will need a student visa. Click here for a list of language schools in the USA that qualify for the limit of max. 17 hours/week.
In all other cases, you will require a visa. As a language student with over 17 hours/week you will have to apply for a student visa. After the enrollment, the school will send you the SEVIS I-20 form, which you will need for the visa application. ESTA is not required if you enter with a visa.
Countries of Visa Waiver Program:
Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
- Application form DS-156
- 1 passport-size photograph
- Valid passport with 1 full blank page, valid for at least six months after entry into the United States.
- Evidence of sufficient funds for stay as indicated on the I-20 or DS-2019.
- SEVIS I-20 or SEVIS DS-2019, issued by a U.S. college, school, or university.
- Contact information and work history form DS-0158M.
- Males between the ages of 16 and 45 must complete form DS-0157.
- A receipt for visa processing fee, information available from the consulate or at the specific consulate Web site.
- SEVIS fee receipt. You can pay the SEVIS fee online at the official website https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/
- Application form
- 1 Passport-size photo
- Valid passport with 1 full blank page
- Return ticket
- Evidence of sufficient funds for stay
- Proof of purpose of visit
- Stamped, self-addressed envelope when postal application
- Tourist Visa: 180 days.
- Student Visa: 180 days.
- Student Visa: 124 EUR
- Tourist Visa: 5-60 days
- Student Visa: 5-60 days
All information on this page has been carefully investigated. However visa requirements change frequently and the information is provided without any guarantee.
Before departure it is recommended to check the website of the embassy. For further questions regarding visa requirements contact directly the embassy of USA in your country.
USA - language schools: Austin Boston Chicago Denver Fort Lauderdale Honolulu Jersey City Las Vegas Long Beach Los Angeles Miami New Orleans New York Orlando Philadelphia Princeton San Diego San Francisco Santa Monica Washington DC
Best rated language schools in USA:
More - Ratings and price comparison of all language schools in USA